Re: ls is broken, what's next cd?

From: Michael Felt
Subject: Re: ls is broken, what's next cd?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 00:41:27 +0100

On 05-Feb-18 20:27, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
IMO the main reason that the current implementation is the right
direction is that file names became more and more "ugly" in the past
43 years.  Compare this quite easy cases:

  $ /bin/ls -N
  a b  c    d

  $ /bin/ls
'a b' 'c ' ' d'
imho, the main problem is you change the default behavior, and 43 years of programs are broken.

but then, gnu would not be "gnu not unix" if it doesn't break at least one unix standard per year.

gnu and fsf have done great good, but change for the sake of change, or because you can, is just a form of anarchy (or whatever, never very good in politics or social skills).

good luck to all! sounds like we will have a reason to keep our jobs!

aka, it's a feature, not a bug.