Re: performance bug of `wc -m`

From: Eric Fischer
Subject: Re: performance bug of `wc -m`
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 19:02:32 -0700

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 5:54 PM, Kaz Kylheku (Coreutils) <
address@hidden> wrote:

In what situation are there printable characters in the range [0,
> UCHAR_MAX) that
> have a width > 1?

I agree that it is unlikely, but POSIX doesn't specify anything about the
width of particular characters, so we don't have any guarantees. (There
could be a system that says that all printing characters are 20 units
wide.) We're not even guaranteed that the characters are in Unicode order.
So why make assumptions when you can ask the OS and be confident of being
portable?

Eric