New command consideration - curtail

From: Wolaver, David
Subject: New command consideration - curtail
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 17:02:32 +0000

Hi all,

I have developed a command line program that I would like to have considered
for inclusion in a future revision of coreutils.  The name of the program is
"curtail".  It reads stdin and appends to an output file while ensuring that
the file will never exceed a specified maximum size.  The main intent is to
place a bound on the output of a program such that it cannot create a runaway
log file.  The output file is truncated (in multiple of block size) at the
beginning such that the output file always contains the latest output of the
program.

user_program | curtail -s 4M output.txt

Thanks for your consideration.

Best regards,