Re: Compile Coreutils without xattr but i installed

From: C de-Avillez
Subject: Re: Compile Coreutils without xattr but i installed
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 19:47:58 +0000

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 8:41 AM Wei MA <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks a lot. I checked if there are /usr/include/attr/libattr.h and
> /usr/include/attr/error_context.h in Ubuntu 18. I could not find them. Then I
> install sudo apt install libattr1-dev. Then can pass  sudo make check
> TESTS=./tests/cp/capability.sh SUBDIRS=. VERBOSE=yes .
>
> When I search how to install xattr, I only find the solution sudo apt install
> xattr.

Hi Wei,

Usually, Linux distros split an offering between run-time and
development packages.

In general, the easiest way to install Coreutil's build dependencies
on Ubuntu is to:

sudo apt build-dep coreutils # there are many more options, see man apt-get

(and replace 'coreutils' above by whatever other package you want to build.)

This will install all dependencies for building (and running)
coreutils; of course, these
dependencies are the ones that exist for the *current* coreutils
package in the Ubuntu
version you are running. If you are trying to build from upstream git
head, then there
*may* be other, newer, requirements that build-dep will not be able to resolve.

Just for the record, there is no Ubuntu 18. There are Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
and 18.10. Ubuntu
versions are YY.MM. I hope you are running on Ubuntu 18.04, because 18.10 is no
longer supported.

Cheers,

..C..