Re: cut -DF

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: cut -DF
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 13:19:11 -0700

Hello Rob and all,

On 2022-01-05 9:23 a.m., Rob Landley wrote:
Around 5 years ago toybox added the -D, -F, and -O options to cut:

     -D  Don't sort/collate selections or match -fF lines without delimiter
     -F  Select fields separated by DELIM regex
     -O  Output delimiter (default one space for -F, input delim for -f)
[...]

Elliott Hughes (the Android base OS maintainer) asked if I could get the feature
more widely adopted:

your non-POSIX cut(1) extension covers 80% of the in-the-wild use of awk
anyway :-)
[...]

This is working and in use in Android, and now in busybox, and it would simplify
my regression test suite if coreutils was in sync, so I thought I'd ask if you
were interested.

I personally like the idea (at the very list "-D" will indeed replace
awk for many simple use-cases).

I'm working on a proof-of-concept (will share later today for feedback and comments).

Do you mind sharing your test suite?

-assaf