Re: coreutils-9.0.193-54bec on Solaris 11.4: stty

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: coreutils-9.0.193-54bec on Solaris 11.4: stty
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 17:03:10 +0200

Pádraig Brady wrote:

> > FAIL: tests/misc/stty-row-col
> > =============================
>
> Any of the commands like `stty rows 40 columns 80` are being silently ignored.

'stty size' retrieves the info from an ioctl(1,TIOCGWINSZ) call and an
ioctl(0,TIOCGWINSZ) call. Even the value of environment variable COLUMNS
is ignored in this case (I have set COLUMNS=72, for testing).

The terminal in this case is a Solaris console, not a X11 based terminal
emulator.

Find attached the output of
  truss src/stty 2>&1 | tee truss.out
  truss -u a.out src/stty 2>&1 | tee truss-u.out

Btw, I find the output of the latter (call hierarchy within the main executable)
quite interesting; do we have a similar tool on Linux?

Bruno