Re: Allow tail to display data after stream stops sending input after N

From: konsolebox
Subject: Re: Allow tail to display data after stream stops sending input after N seconds
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 19:58:41 +0000

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 5:20 PM Kaz Kylheku <kaz@kylheku.com> wrote:
> Hi konsolebox,
>
> I was inspired by this thread to hack up a little utility called pw (Pipe
> Watch)
> over a couple hours late last night.
>
> Here is a link to the man page:
>
> https://www.kylheku.com/cgit/pw/tree/pw.1
>
> You pipe your input to pw, similarly in concept to a pager. It doesn't behave
> like a pager though; it maintains a small FIFO of the last bunch of lines
> of the data source, which are updated to an interactive display. The FIFO
> is continuously pumping data; the display just takes snapshots.
>
> I managed to cram a few features into it, like scrolling left-right over long
> lines, a suspend mode which freezes the display, and some Vi-like
> colon commands to save/append what is displayed to a file, or send it to a
> pipe.
>
> If you have time, give it a try.

I tried it, thank you. I noticed that you missed adding a colon next
to n in "ni:l:d".

It works when I run `tail -f /var/log/messages | pw -d` but it only
displays a single line.  But if I add `-n +1` to tail, it shows all 15
lines.

`tail -f /var/log/messages | cat` shows 10 lines.  Is there any way I
can configure pw to initially display 10 lines instead?

--
konsolebox