Feature Request: Removal of '-f' Short Option in 'rm' Command

From: Owen Chia
Subject: Feature Request: Removal of '-f' Short Option in 'rm' Command
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 06:12:46 +0000

Dear GNU Coreutils Team,

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to propose a feature request
regarding the 'rm' command in GNU Coreutils. Specifically, I would like to
suggest the removal of the '-f' short option, while retaining the '--force'
long option.

The rationale behind this proposal stems from the observation that the '-f'
short option has led to numerous accidental deletions due to its ease of use
and associated muscle memory. By removing the short option and encouraging the
use of the longer '--force' option, we can mitigate such unintended
consequences and promote safer usage of the 'rm' command.

I believe that requiring users to type the full long option '--force' each time
they intend to forcefully remove files or directories would serve as an
effective safeguard against inadvertent deletions. The additional effort
involved in typing the longer option will create a deliberate pause, allowing
users to consciously confirm their intent before proceeding with potentially
irreversible actions.

By implementing this change, we can prevent accidental data loss and promote a
culture of cautious file management practices. The modification aligns with the
principles of user-friendly design and prioritizes the safety and integrity of
user data.

I kindly request the GNU Coreutils Team to consider this proposal for the 'rm'
command. I understand that any changes to a widely used utility like Coreutils
require careful consideration and testing. I am available to provide further
insights, conduct additional testing, or assist in any way necessary to support
the implementation of this feature.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to your
response. Your efforts in maintaining and improving the GNU Coreutils project
are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Owen Chia
aptx945@gmail.org