daredevils-devel

[Daredevils-devel] predestined

From: Mima Fowler
Subject: [Daredevils-devel] predestined
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:36:23 +0300

The curiousnature of his proposal did not escape Sophias scrutiny. She sees no meannessin earning, but in those that think it mean.
He was strong and young and passionately in love;the father was old.
And must we not, anddo we not change this unalterable nature?
She cried bitterly at not beingtaught things.
We, beingunscientific, have named it wrongly. Patrick Brontë to hidethe real nature of their emotions from themselves. It was easyfor Mr Barrett, Mr Jex-Blake and the Rev. Each is strong separately; together they are very strong. Tom being a manwould not be lowered; it was her sex that made the difference. The psychologist, therefore, can only throw light upon certainfacts. Bymaking their absence felt their presence becomes desirable.
You will pardon us therefore if we pause here toexamine this report in some detail.
Againwith your leave we will call it a case of infantile fixation.
Society it seems was a father, and afflicted with the infantilefixation too. You may have observed it in reallife; you may have detected it in biography. The case of Mr Barrett of WimpoleStreet is, perhaps, the most famous and the best authenticated. But that was notall that she attempted upon three hundred a year.
That permissionwas instantly and heatedly refused. Also the desire for an open and rational love wasbehind it.
Others wanted to travel; to explore Africa; to dig inGreece and Palestine.
Nor could theydeny it, nor wish to renounce it. Bymaking their absence felt their presence becomes desirable. Taking moneyfor work did not lower Tom in anybodys eyes. Happily we haveone at hand whose credentials are above suspicion.
It was easyfor Mr Barrett, Mr Jex-Blake and the Rev. For it seems to show that to bepassive is to be active; those also serve who remain outside.