ddd

Re: Crash at startup of DDD for Fortran programs

From: Peter Wainwright
Subject: Re: Crash at startup of DDD for Fortran programs
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:29:00 +0000

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 14:40 +0100, GUEZ Lionel wrote:
> Hello. DDD displays an error at startup when I use it on any Fortran program.
> Here is a test on a two-line program :
>
> $ cat plouf.f
>       print *, "plouf"
>       end
>
> $ gfortran -g -O0 plouf.f
>
> $ ddd a.out
>
> The DDD console opens with the following message :
>
> "GNU DDD 3.3.11 (i586-mandriva-linux-gnu), by Dorothea Lütkehaus and Andreas
> Zeller.
> Copyright © 1995-1999 Technische Universität Braunschweig, Germany.
> Copyright © 1999-2001 Universität Passau, Germany.
> Copyright © 2001 Universität des Saarlandes, Germany.
> Copyright © 2001-2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/i686/libthread_db.so.1".
> (gdb)
> Segmentation fault"
>
> and two dialog boxes appear saying :
>
> "GDB terminated abnormally (Segmentation fault)"

^
This line says that GDB (the line-oriented debugger underneath DDD)
terminated abnormally, which it should not do.  It may be that DDD has
told it do do something silly (using too much memory for example), but
in an ideal world no program should ever crash on any input.  You can
find out what commands have been sent to GDB by examining ~/.ddd/log and
looking for the lines which begin with "->". If I were you I would try
debugging your program with gdb directly. By repeating these commands in
GDB you may be able to replicate the crash, and then you can send a bug
report to the GDB maintainers.

Peter Wainwright