ddd

graph display question

From: Srinivas Narayan
Subject: graph display question
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 09:47:36 +0000

Hello,

I am trying to use the graph display command to visualize some complex data structures with dependent nodes. I would like to be able to write a script that follows all the pointers I need to and use that whenever I need to dump a specific data structure. However, there does not seem to be any way to get the display number of a node in order to express a dependency on.

Would it be possible to add this facility?

e.g if I have the following data structure hierarchy

struct x {

   int i;

};

struct y {

   struct x *x_ptr;

};

struct y *y_ptr;

I would like to be able to have a script of the form

graph display y_ptr

..... determine <number>.... corresponding to display of y_ptr

graph display y_ptr->x_ptr dependent on <number>

and so on ...

where <number> can be determined dynamically or better still assigned by the user.

I understand that is currently just a monotonically increasing number. So one way of determining the number may be to keep a global value in my script - but that seems a bit kludgy and doesn't let me maintain a library of scripts that can be invoked easily.

A separate second query - is it possible to customize the shape of the edges generated in the graph to make them neat 'L' shapes in order to generate graphs with minimum overlap?

Thanks

Srinivas