debian-sf-users

Re: [Debian-sf-users] DNS Configuration for debian-sf

From: Christian Bayle
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-users] DNS Configuration for debian-sf
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:31:18 +0100

If you look carefully at cabalistic signs in sf-httpd.conf you will see this
Which means that there is an alias of projects page at /www/<projectname>
If you want to change behaviour at project creation change the default url that is created in Group.class/function create replace the second '$unix_name.".$GLOBALS['sys_default_domain']."', with $GLOBALS['sys_default_domain'].'/www/'.$unix_name.'/' or something similar should work
Maybe I will implement this or if you do it send a patch :)
Would be great a default (why not wiki) web site on demand ...

 # Debian Sourceforge without the DNS delegation
 # Project home pages are in a virtual /www/<group> location
AliasMatch ^/www/([^/]*)/(.*) /var/lib/sourceforge/chroot/home/groups/$1/htdocs/$2 ScriptAliasMatch ^/([^/]*)/cgi-bin/(.*) /var/lib/sourceforge/chroot/home/groups/$1/cgi-bin/$2
 <Directory /var/lib/sourceforge/chroot/home/groups>
   Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
     AllowOverride All
     order allow,deny
     allow from all
   </Directory>

Arnar Birgisson wrote:

I'm not sure about which DNS servers support this, but if your ISP is running bind9 you can see if the will
register the entry "*.sourceforge.domainname.com" and "cvs.*.sourceforge.domainname.com".
They should both point to your sourceforge machine (or be a CNAME for another name pointing to it). Any DNS
requests for <whatever>.sourceforge.domainname.com or cvs.<whatever>.sourceforge.domainname.com
will be given the IP address of your box and then it's up to apache vhosts configuration to select the correct
directory to serve files from. That way, when setting up a somegroup.sourceforge.domainname.com website the
only thing you have to do (or make sure is done by sourceforge crontab entries) is to create the relevant
directory on your machine and acrabadabra, the website is ready.

Arnar

Seetal Patel <address@hidden> 11/13/02 14:16 PM >>>
Hello,

Pardon me for if this post is not relevant to this group. I am newbie to
Sourceforge and would greatly appreciate some help with an issue I am
having.

We currently have deployed  Sourceforge 2.5-33 on fresh install of Woody.
The install itself went very smoothly, but I having some trouble getting my
head around a DNS issue we having.

Every time a new project is registered on the site a new domain entry is
created and our DNS server is hosted externally by our ISP, hence is there
way to force Sourceforge to not create new DNS entries for new project. For
example:

Our Source server name = sfserver.domainname.com

If we register a new project called "test1" then the fully qualified DNS
name for the project homepage would be: test1.sfserver.domainname.com.
Obviously this a bit inconvenient as every time a new project gets created
we have to request our ISP to add the new entry to DNS hosts file.
Browsing through other Sourceforge deployments across the web, I see that
most of them do not create a new DNS  entry per project but  instead append
projectname as a directory on the server e.g. sfserver.domainname.com/test1
instead of test1.sfserver.domainname.com

I would like to know how to configure this.

Thanks in advance.

Seetal R Patel | Systems Administration Manager Valtech Ltd | 120 Aldersgate Street | London | EC1A 4JQ Switchboard +44 (0) 20 7014 0800 | Direct +44 (0) 20 7014 0910 Mob +44 (0) 777 1992 385 | Fax +44 (0) 20 7014 0801 www.valtech.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- LATEST NEWS FROM VALTECH Training course prices slashed - up to 50% less
than other leading training companies - from £1795 to £990 for five day
course - for full details and course offerings please see
www.valtech.co.uk/2some or call Muzaher on 020 7014 0841 for London courses
and the training team on 0161 873 6300 for Manchester courses.
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail contains Proprietary information some or all of
which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. All information contained within this e-mail is subject to the Terms & Conditions of Valtech Ltd. which are available upon request.