debian-sf-users

Re: [Debian-sf-users] general questions

From: Christian BAYLE
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-users] general questions
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 13:47:41 +0200

Matthew Hammer a écrit :

I am interested in debian-sf and I am looking for some advice.

I am one of 12 coordinators for our university's Undergraduate Project
Lab, which provides machines and accounts to undergraduates interested
in working on software projects outside of their course work.

Here is a link: http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu

We have been looking upgrade our webpage and user database, as they
are both crufty and aged.  I suggested that we start using
SourceForge, and quickly learned of your project.  All of our servers
and about half of our workstations run Debian.  It would be great to
use your software as a replacement to our current system, but I have
some concerns.

We currently have two dedicated servers, one is dedicated for remote
access/user shells, and the other runs our mail and web daemons.  only
coordinators are given a login to the web/mail server.

My concern is debian-sf will want a single machine for everything, and
this may be hard to do.  I read from your webpage that 2.6 splits the
components of the system so that can be distribuated, is this ready
for public usage?
We (Lo-lan-do and I) don't have a lot of experience in setup on multiple host
This should be possible, and maybe someone who did it will answer you.

I recommend that you use now gforge debian package that was uploaded last week in debian unstable.
Debian-SF has merged his code with Gforge code found at http://gforge.org.
The CVS is at savannah http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gforge/
The bug/patch/feature request trackers are at http://gforge.org/projects/gforge/
You can also use the debian BTS for debian packaging specific bugs.

The general idea for multihost is to add some gforge-xxx-remote package in the packaging, though it should be possible in your config to install gforge on one server and just set the shell server to the other server.

Let us now the modification you did/need You can join us on irc.freenode.net #debian-sf or #gforge

Cheers

Christian

We rarely have heavily loads, but I'd like to avoid a buggy setup.

Thanks!
Matt