dejagnu

Re: dejagnu version update?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: dejagnu version update?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 13:55:22 -0600

On 5/17/20 1:43 PM, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> patch service before.  It doesn't appear linked to our mailing list either
> and instead you need to go through the hoops of a web interface (and open
> an account first) to submit a change.

  From what I remember, it was decided the GNU toolchain (minus DejaGnu)
that the savannah infrastructure was insufficient. Some of the others
here probably remember better. GNU projects are different when it's not
part of the toolchain. My Gnash project uses savannah heavily. But you
are right, it forces you into a webbie world, and email is mostly for
notifications.

>  That's precisely what patchworks is for, which has been used to various
> extent for the GNU C library, GCC and GDB already.  All of which projects
> are of similar vintage to DejaGnu and I reckon rather important for the
> GNU project.  Given that our main patch submission channel is e-mail,
> what's the point in using a system that does not accept one?

  So maybe the discussion point is if we want to consider DejaGnu part
of the toolchain, and use the same infrastructure as the other tools. I have
no problem with that. DejaGnu doesn't change much, and there were only 2
of us working on it, so we just never thought about it.

        - rob -