[Demexp-dev] No much code in the coming week (and some homework)

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] No much code in the coming week (and some homework)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:16:53 +0200

Hi,

I won't be able to code this week and next week-end, so don't expect new
code neither response from me until the middle/end of next week.

But if you have some spare time, I can give you some homework :)

 - think about security issues. More important than precise security
   mechanisms, we need to clearly define the security objectives we
   want. Think about confidentiality of vote, counting and (independant)
   re-counting of votes, authentication of participants, authentication
   of source code and compiled binaries, authentication of server from
   clients and clients from server (for both general interaction and
   voting), allowing participants to change there vote albeit let the
   vote unkown for the voting system, etc. We need to write the security
   section of the specifications.

   Of course, having security mechanisms and protocols (and even
   libraries) to do that would be a plus. :)

 - write an english version of the web site (or at least a small
   description of the project). Would be useful to point to from the
   development web site (http://www.nongnu.org/demexp/)

 - find or write english description of condorcet voting, actual or
   expected performances, needed metrics to evaluate performances,
   etc. A reflexion and examples of pairwise matrices reflecting bad
   situations (cyclic ties and the like) would also be much appreciated

   BTW, I insist on the fact that the actual is documented (or it least
   should be documented ;), so peer reviewing and bug tracking on those
   comments would be nice.

 - find a recognized Secure Socket Layer library of which license is
   compatible with GNU GPL. Having a binding for it with Caml is a plus

 - in the same way, find cryptographic libraries (assymmetric and
   symmetric crypto) (some Caml code is available in the Caml Hump, but
   is it reliable from a security point of view? I think GnuPG crypto
   functionnalities are available as a library)

 - [isa] modularize the GUI code and prepare for integration with the
   rest of source code. Think about needed explanations on code, future
   expansion and modifications, etc.

 - and for the future....

    - way of representing and navigating in tons of information through
      graphical abstractions (American Universities have made a lot of
      work on this topic. I have found a very nice book at Le Failler
      last saturday, however a bit expensive (can't remember it's
      title))

    - criteria to evaluate scalability of a fully deployed voting system
      (i.e. number of votes per unit of time, number of questions, ...)

    - find logos (for the software and the political project)

 - anything I have certainly forgotten :) (BTW, I had some reflexions on
   classification, delegation, server code and locking & threading
   issues, but not enough to share right now. And I would like to code
   :)

See you soon,
Yours,
d.