[Demexp-dev] New raw client && some news

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] New raw client && some news
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:38:55 +0100

Hello dear demexpers,

I've started to upload in CVS a new raw textual client for demexp
(directory raw-clnt/, don't forget the -d switch of cvs update). It is
not a duplicate of isa's work because: (i) it is a example of
communication between a client and a server (isa, hint hint ;) and (ii)
a gives us a basic client that should work from the beginning on
Windows, MacOS X, Linux, name-your-platform-of-heart.

To play with it:

 1. start the server:
./srv/demexp-server --log

 2. start the client
./raw-clnt/demexp-raw-clnt

A typical session:

DemExp Raw Client 0.0.1 ($Date: 2004/01/24 19:08:32 $)
  DemExp Raw Client comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
  This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
  certain conditions (see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html).

Enter 'help' to know available commands.
(anonymous)/> mkdir a
(anonymous)/> mdkir b
Unknown command
(anonymous)/> mkdir b
(anonymous)/> ls
 0. b/
 1. a/
(anonymous)/> cd 0
(anonymous)/b/> mkdir A_very_long_cat
(anonymous)/b/> ls
 0. A_very_long_cat/
(anonymous)/b/> cd 0
(anonymous)/b/A_very_long_cat/> cd ..
(anonymous)/b/> cd ..
(anonymous)/> ls
 0. b/
 1. a/
(anonymous)/> help
Available commands:
  quit      : leave this program
  login name: identify onself as NAME
  ls        : list the content of current hierarchy level
  mkdir name: add a new subcategory NAME
  cd n      : move into sub-category of number N
  cd ..     : move into upper-category
  help      : you've just typed it!

(anonymous)/> login god
Password: demexp
(god)/>

Please notice that arguments to 'cd' are a number of the category and
not the category itself. I think it will be easier to manipulate and
much easier to implement than auto-completion. Of course, if somebody
wants to implement autocompletion, I'll take patches with pleasure. :)

Let me know of any issues and compilation failure or success on foreign
platforms.

As a side note, it seems that the script that sends a message after a
CVS upload is dead (probably after savannah crack). I don't have time to
make it work (and I don't know if it is possible). So update your CVS
tree regularly.

Yours,
d.
--