Re: [Demexp-dev] Possible switch from CVS to GNU Arch

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Possible switch from CVS to GNU Arch
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:31:32 +0100

David MENTRE <address@hidden> writes:

> In any case, if I switch to Arch, I won't force other demexp developers
> to also switch to Arch. I'll update the CVS tree on a regular basis. We
> should also do regular snaposhots of the development tree.

I have looked more deeply into the subject. To go from CVS to Arch,
there is a tool (cscvs http://wiki.sourcecontrol.net/moin.cgi/cscvs). It
would allow me to get the whole set of CVS commit as Arch changesets.

Ok, suppose now that I have an Arch archive of demexp and that I'm
working on it, how would I update the CVS tree? Currently, we have 3
possibilities:

 1. separate Arch and CVS tree. On a regular basis, make a big patch of
    changes in Arch tree and apply it to CVS.

 2. use CVS and Arch in the same tree. It has been documented

(http://wiki.sourcecontrol.net/moin.cgi/Arch_20and_20CVS_20in_20the_20same_20tree).
    However, it seems to cluter the use of Arch (e.g. obligation of
    doing an Arch commit after each CVS commit). I'm not very fond of
    it.

 3. forget about CVS. Despite what I have said ("I'll update the CVS
    tree"), we are a very small project and as far as I know, maybe one
    or two people have used the CVS tree. If those people don't want to
    use Arch, as well as for new comers, we can use tarballs (.tar.gz)
    of sources. Of course, we can't make tarballs as easily as doing a
    CVS commit.

Tonight, I'm for solution 3, under the assumption that Arch works as
expected.  Moreover, if we found Arch unusable, we can still apply Arch
modifications into the untouched CVS and restart from that point.

What do you think of it? I really need a (positive, negative or
don't-care) feedback.

Yours,
d.
--