Re: [Demexp-dev] Thoughts on voting machines

From: Félix
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Thoughts on voting machines
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:46:28 +0200

Concerning trust in electronic voting, one should also consider that
in the democratic experience project, we expect *a lot* of votes.
The citizens are submitting the questions, the citizens are submitting
candidate answers, and the citizens vote. Vote can range from general
concepts (death penalty, age of majority...) down to smaller issues
(which company is going to collect garbage in my village? Should we buld
a highway between this city and that one?).

It may be plausible that a single voting session is "attacked" when it
is very important: if you elect the president of USA with a single
electronic voting session, some poeple may want to invest a large
amount of energy to try and tamper it, because there is so much at
stake. If stakes are "distributed" because of so many issues that
are subject to voting, it may be more difficult to tamper.

 Felix