Re: [Demexp-dev] CDuce binding in Makefile.

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] CDuce binding in Makefile.
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:34:40 +0200

Hello Serge,

>From your answers, CDuce seems quite promising. Thanks to bringing it
out.

Now, the not funny part: CDuce is under Q license v1.0
(http://www.cduce.org/c-bin/viewcvs.cgi/LICENSE?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup).
 Is
it free software (in the Debian meaning)?

For the developers, CDuce is available as packages (even for debian)
here: http://www.cduce.org/download.html#binary

Serge Leblanc <address@hidden> writes:

> This example isn't significant and doesn't profit from CDuce type-safe
> paradigm.
> Here an better example with a type control and a filter optimized by
> CDuce.
>

> (* demexp.mli *)
> val load_demexp: string -> string list
>
> (* demexp.cd *)
> let load_demexp (f : Latin1) : [ String* ] =
>     let  d = load_xml "demexp_base.xml" in
>         map [d]/<participant_base>_/<participant
> kind="individual">_/<login>String  with
>             <login>s -> s
>   ;;

Well, as I haven't looked at CDuce doc, I don't understand this "map
[d]..." syntax. Could you give me a pointer to the relevant doc or
tutorial?

> Ces filtres utilisent les optimisations réalisées et inventées par
> l'équipe Cduce. Cela est important car toutes les autres méthodes
> reposant sur un fichier à plat (like: minimal XML from lablgtk2) ne
> supporteront, pas à terme, la charge des 5 milliards d'utilisateurs.
> Vous obligeant à implémenter des techniques de base de données qui sont
> déjà présentes dans CDuce.

[ Short english translation: CDuce is able, thanks to its optimizations,
  to handle very large XML files. ]

Well, I'm quite skeptical on the ability to handle a full fledge demexp
base only on XML files. I'm still thinking of a classical setting:
import/export in XML and daily management backend as an SQL database.

However, I'm not a proponent of databases neither, so if we can prove
that CDuce is as efficient as a real database, why not.

> In the same paragraph documentation says :
> "Everything works mutatis mutandis with the native OCaml compiler
> ocamlopt."

Ok, I take the brown paper bag and put it on my head. :)

As I said in a previous email, I would like to finish the graphical
demexp client first. The import/export of XML is only second on the
list. ;)

In the meantime, could you help us in the design of the XML DTD and
schema(?)? You could start from srv/demexp.dtd.nw file. Except for
delegation which we should redesign (so you can skip it), the other
parts should be pretty similar (but I've not checked however).

The data structures to save in XML are in Posbase, Classification and
Participants modules.

Serge, to not forget the first engineering principle: it should be as
simple as possible. So each feature should have a rationale that could
be documented in a litterate programming style.

Yours,
d.
--
pub  1024D/A3AD7A2A 2004-10-03 David MENTRE <address@hidden>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A