[Demexp-dev] Re: [RFC] Using a file browser as demexp GUI?

From: GISQUET Christophe
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: [RFC] Using a file browser as demexp GUI?
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:34:59 +0200 (CEST)

Good evening,

(let's not forget everything in this mail)
as usual please Cc: me as I'm not subscribed.

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, David MENTRE wrote:
[RFC stand for Request For Comments]

Hello,

I would like to have your advice on following point.

I'm thinking seriously at using the native file browser of the desktop
machine as a client for demexp. That would enable easy integration
with LFS (Logical File System) and would relieve us of most GUI issues
(the hard graphical parts is done by the OS and desktop applications,
we only write generic parts emulating files and folders).

I'm not sure to understand. Is it really a file browser, like mc, nautilus, and so on? Or is it a web browser? The second was probably considered (would be neat), but I guess there are too many security problems.

As you quote LFS, I wonder how much it restricts the supported platforms.

locally as a WebDAV server. Files types ensure we can vote and/or see
needed information, with appropriate helper applications.

You mean like:
- a file type that holds the poll question
- a file type for proposed replies or whatever
- a file type for sorting
and so on? (seems so from the following part)

         o the classification (tags and questions) appears as a set
of folders and files

Sounds a bit like web-browser Opera's mail client. I'm not at all proficient with it, so don't ask me to explain it - it is a mere reference. I'd be like you searching more details on some websearch engine. I kind of remember you can create "virtual folders" that are result of previous search/filtering patterns.

The main issue is how to differentiate between seeing a question and
voting on it. How to display it? As two different files? And how to
display information specific to a question? Into a sub-folder?

And how to delegate? Put the question in a delegation folder inside
the folder of the delegate?

And how to classify? Move a question into a tag folder?

I have a hard time to grasp how most voters would work it out. I mean, it seems very unnatural, so it's also about how to make it obvious to those voters.

Have you any example of a LFS test example used in such a way, and being still practical? LISFS still seems in the research and experimentation side. And I still think this is going to narrow audience even more.

Sorry for being so dense, but this the only side I can really comment.

Regards,
--
Christophe GISQUET
Hello! This is a signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature