Re: [Demexp-dev] Win32 binary for demexp 0.6

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Win32 binary for demexp 0.6
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:49:33 +0200

Hello,

2005/8/31, GISQUET Christophe <address@hidden>:
> Good news: it still builds
> Bad news: it exits with a fatal exception (stdout follows)
> Connecting to server tuxinette.linux-france.org:50000...
> Connected to server. Try to login with ""...
> Fatal error: exception Invalid_argument("String.sub")
>
> It could be an improper installation or config file(s) from 0.4 version, I
> don't know.

The config file of 0.4 is not used. But it should not crash however. I
haven't the source at hand so I can't research more but, if you can,
you should try to run the byte code version (demexp-client.bc) with
the following environment variable set with this value:
  OCAMLRUNPARAM="b"

This should gives a backtrace with function calls and line numbers.

> Could the developpers also have a --help option to configure script so as
> to list the options and their meaning?

Ok. But notice that the README provides documentation of the options.

> Also, please make some missing
> libs/progs non-fatal, or at least explain why it is fatal or what option
> it depends on. latex for instance is not a requirement, yet the configure
> will state it is missing and will not help anymore on the matter.

Well, the configure script was a first attempt and I was expecting
people like you to point out issues. I'll modify the script so that it
provides hint on option to use to avoid issues.

> This
> sounds to me too much like "read the 'fine' code" which I'd prefer not to
> comment.

You don't like my code? ;-)

> And because I guess it should alleviate either native compilation,
> cross-compiling or running under wine, you may find at the old dump site a
> binary tarball demexp-0.6.tar.bz2 and tarballs of some dependancies in
> ./deps
>
> I 'updated' compiling instructions to demexp-0.6-howto.txt
>
> Good luck with the debugging

Many many thanks for the try. From the error message I suspect the
error is in my code.

Yours,
d.