Re: [Demexp-dev] About OCaml Debian packaging

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] About OCaml Debian packaging
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:44:03 +0200

Hi,

David MENTRE wrote:

> Regarding the rebuild of packages after an API change, I'm wondering
> why Debian developers don't setup a build infrastructure to
> systematically rebuild all packages. OCaml is not C++ and one can
> easily rebuild *all* ocaml packages of Debian in a reasonable amount
> of time.

They are working on this, using a new debhelper called dh_ocaml. I
didn't had time to look precisely at it, but you can read the
presentation mail by Stefano at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ocaml-maint/2005/08/msg00007.html.

I think this will not rebuild automatically the packages, but will at
least automatically report interface inconsistencies.

And anyway, for people maintaining backport packages, this doesn't solve
everything. When Debian developers will upload ocaml 3.08.4, I'll have
to compile unstable packages for this version of the compiler, but keep
testing and stable version against ocaml 3.08.3. Once the compiler will
move to testing, I'll have to convert the testing package. But, hey,
this is the funny part of packaging ! ;-)

Sincerly,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni