Re: [Demexp-dev] On web client, XML and ONC RPC and their integration wi

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] On web client, XML and ONC RPC and their integration with demexp
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 23:58:01 +0200

Hi,

Le Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:48:07 +0200,
David MENTRE <address@hidden> a écrit :

> This leads me to a fourth approach: implement a XML RPC <-> ONC RPC
> proxy as an interface between the XML RPC side (Drupal) and the ONC
> RPC side (demexp server). It would act as a server on the XML RPC
> side and as a client on the ONC RPC side. This approach seems to me
> nicer because there is no need for a re-implementation of all server
> network API: the same ONC RPC interface is used for both the web and
> native clients on the server side. Moreover, such a proxy would be an
> independant software, with well defined interfaces, so easier to
> maintain, understand and modify.

At first, I thought that this approach was overkill, but after thinking
a bit about it, I think like David that it's the best option. It allows
to not bloatify the code of the demexp server itself by not supporting
two RPCs types, and it's better since we don't know if XML RPC will be
kept on the long term.

However, I suggest to be careful about the complexity of the demexp
software. It's starting to be:
 - a server in OCaml with lots of dependencies, making it hard to
   compile when you're not using a good distribution (Debian)
 - a proxy in Python that uses unpackaged library (pyrpc)
 - a web client in PHP/Drupal which runs over Apache.

For the newcomer, it's probably going to be harder and harder to get
involved in the projet if so many languages, library and compilers are
used, and if the architecture becomes more complex.

Anyway, I think that the current experimentations around Drupal are a
nice thing, and the motivation of Augustin is promising.

Sincerly,

Thomas
--
PETAZZONI Thomas - address@hidden