Re: [Demexp-dev] tag classification and hierachy

From: Frederic Lehobey
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] tag classification and hierachy
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:34:04 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 06:23:42PM +0800, Augustin wrote:

> I was under the impression that there was a tree-like hierarchy of tags.

Yes and no. Actually there is not really. But some is simulated for
readability of tags with the `aad:' `zc:'" part of the tag names. It
has effects only on the _display_ of the tags (in the client).

> But the methods you just gave me do not contain any way to tell a hierarchy
> between tags.
> Reading chapter 28 of your manual, it seems that each user has to create
> their
> own hierarchy, but there is no 'public' or 'official' hierarchy.

There is some in the alphabetic part at the beginning of the name of
the tag, but it is work in progress only (to be dealt with by
classifiers).

> The classifiers only attribute tags to the questions, without creating a
> hierarchy between them, right?

They can create the (display) hierachy in the same time. This feature
may also not be used, but we have had feedback (in the demo server)
that there were too many tags to be read at once.

Alternative ways to solve this problem might be considered.

Experimentally,
Frédéric Lehobey