Re: [Demexp-dev] Re: win32 and GTK

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Re: win32 and GTK
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:50:10 +0200

Hello Christophe,

GISQUET Christophe <address@hidden> writes:

> I've updated the installer with the latest change, i.e. embedded GTK
> installer + detection:
> http://christophe.gisquet.free.fr/demexp/demexp-0.7beta-2.exe
>
> Of interest are difficult scenarios where:
> - the user has (very) limited rights
> - no GTK installation exists
> - an installation exists, possibly installed by someone (root) with higher
> rights.
>
> I believe this is still somewhat unstable so some tests are required.

I'll try to test it. You can also ask on demexp-fr@ with a French
message. A lot of Windows users are there.

> I have attached a patch that expects the GTK+ installer to be named
> "gtk2-runtime-2.8.18-setup-1.exe" and present in the win32 folder. Most
> modifiable strings are available at the beginning of demexp.nsi. In
> addition, but this is not included nor demonstrated, even the installer
> can have custom translations.

Patch applied.

A minor remark. I have notice that you use:
!define DEMEXP_REG_KEY  "SOFTWARE\GNU\demexp"

demexp is not part of the GNU project, so I would prefer that you use a
different key, like:
!define DEMEXP_REG_KEY  "SOFTWARE\DEMEXP\demexp"

> I'm detecting and displaying the GTK version. GTK is not installed if a
> version is already installed. Note: this detection is somewhat
> unsufficient, a broken installer/desinstallation or some other unusual
> situation may trick it.

Cf. my previous remark: would it be possible, not too difficult and
reliable to use a demexp's specific GTK install?

> I leave that work to the integrated gtk installer which is included. It
> is extracted to the TEMP folder ("Docs & Settings\<Users>\Temp" or the
> like) and run from it. This occurs as the very step of the
> installation. If the GTK installer is canceled/..., demexp installation
> fails.

Seems ok to me.

>> The later point begs for the question: should we include libglade dll
>> within demexp package or should we use a GTK installer providing it? I
>
> Former solution implemented.

Ok, so you have changed your mind and include necessary ligglade.dll.

>> So the demexp installer would do those steps:
>> - detect GTK and deduce whether to install it; this is an incomplete
>> decision, as it should also find if it is recent enough, and propose
>> to update/uninstall it
>
> only first verification implemented.

Ok. This is probably one of the tricky part of the Windows installer.

>> - display what software will be installed; those would be unmodifiable
>> check boxes showing what is going to be installed: demexp always
>> ticked, and GTK box ticked depending on previous result
>
> Done. GTK check box can't be modified; I don't think the case where
> people want to force the installation of the demexp version is worth the
> modifications.

I agree.

>> - if GTK is to be installed, extract the setup to demexp install
>> folder, then run this setup; canceling the GTK setup should cancel the
>> demexp setup
>
> Done.

ok.

Thank you for the hard work.

Best wishes,
d.
--
GPG/PGP key: A3AD7A2A David MENTRE <address@hidden>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A