Re: [Demexp-dev] logins and account creation.

From: ketty .
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] logins and account creation.
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 00:25:37 +0200

It depends how we think on demexp the voting machine and demexp the
web forum. But if we consider the Drupal interface as a distinct entity
than the demexp server, having the possibility for user to identify only
once could be related with some others call Single Sign On.

In a lot of case those problems are solved by some "identity federations
systems", we could have a look at the relevance of interfacing with such
systems.

Not sure this message will be very useful without any links but I do not
have the time just now to find the relevant pointers.

With identification of user being such a big issue, and one that will grow as demexp grows, maybe having a third party handle them make sense? As for now this could just be another server put up by us, but in the long term it could be something not related to demexp. In sweden we have something called BankID[1] that works as an e-legitimation and is used by banks and some other organisations to identify people on the internet.

Regarding different accounts on demexp server and drupal, i think it is plain "weird" :)
Why are they needed to be different? Because it is hard to get a demexp account and easy to get a drupal account? I suggest that in the long run we use only one account, and that account having a flag of either identified user or not. That way account creation can be easy, while real life identification of the user can be as complicated as required.

[1]: http://www.bankid.com/BankidCom/EnglishSubpages/EnglishSubMaster.aspx?link=En111&page=BankID.htm