[Demexp-dev] Re: Before merging ketty's branch

From: ketty .
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: Before merging ketty's branch
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:29:18 +0200

On 10/12/06, David MENTRE <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Ketty,

I've started to look at how I could merge your branch to integrate your
modifications to demexpweb. Before doing the merge, I have some remarks
(by order of decreasing importance):

1. why do you create a web/po/ directory instead of using po/
    directory? I don't like spreading po files all over the
    sources. Moreover, you have created web/po/Makefile. Once again, I
    prefer having a single Makefile at the top of the source tree;

I wanted be able to translate only the web client or the gtk client without having to wade through the strings of the other one. Is this possible with one po/ dir?

2. You have kept the call to Obj.magic;

Please provide a patch on how to avoid both using Obj.magic and making a lot of hard to find bugs. :)

3. Be careful when recompiling the sources, gettext has a tendency to
    add its headers, even if they are already there. That makes the .po
    files messy. You should do a 'hg revert po/file' before doing a
    commit if the file was not modified (or edit it manually
    otherwise).

    For example in changeset 434:

Yes, i have noticed this. I think the Makefile should be changed not to update the po files automatically. Then you could call for example "make update-po" as a part of the translation process instead.

4. There isn't much litterate comments; ;-)

I really have to learn commenting my code :) ..I guess i deserve to get burnt some.. (and then i might learn ^^)

Before merging your changes, I would much prefer that you change 1/ and
2/. For 4/, I could add them latter even if comments are of better
quality when written at the same time as the code (and by the coder ;-).

Hm, maybe comments are of best quality if at first leaved out and then you added them after you had forgotten what you tried to do and you had to figure it out again? ;-)