Re: [Demexp-dev] Fwd: [Caml-list] The OCaml Summer Project

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Fwd: [Caml-list] The OCaml Summer Project
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:09:31 +0100

Hi,

2007/1/26, ketty <address@hidden>:
I am not sure yet if i want apply. For one thing it would require me
to have fairly complete plan to begin with and then stick to it. I am
not good at that kind of things. :-)

:-) But that could be a good motivation to learn that kind of thing!
;-) But you are your only judge on this.

But if you want a mentor, I'm ready to advise you.

And i don't know what project is accepted. Maybe it should be fairly
self contained? (but interfacing/integrated with demexp)

Well, this is the extension-of-an-existing-project kind, isn't it?

If we have concrete project suggestions we could suggest them to
janestcapital andor universities with courses using caml?

Maybe. But I need to allocate some time on this and my time slots are
already fairly booked. :-)

(realistic ?) suggestions:
* caching/relaying (sub)server to minimize load on main server.

Not very interesting right now. Before optimizing, we need a real
analysis of congestion points and their cause.

* application/tools to filter/organize questions in useful manners.
(could then be reused by different clients).

That would be definitely useful. For example, I find the LISFS
technology very promising. They have a theoretical formalism and a
prototype (GNU GPL, in OCaml) to have a tag-based search technology
where you can freely mix google-like queries and unix-directory-like
search. That would be a big plus for demexp to have a classification
server using that technology.
 http://lfs.irisa.fr/index.html
 http://lfs.irisa.fr/demo-area/
 http://lfs.irisa.fr/prototypes.html

Here is an example on how it could be applied to demexp:

* various clients. (web, standalone, commandline, curses)

commandline client is already fulfilled by Thomas' Python binding.

As I said previously, a web interface would be definitely useful.

The standalone client could have some improvements, but I would really
prefer work on a web interface.

Best wishes,
d.