Re: [Denemo-devel] Printing parts

From: Adam Tee
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Printing parts
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:48:15 +0000

On Sunday 16 December 2007 08:49:49 Richard Shann wrote:

> I've had a look - as I thought it is horrible. The voices are
> represented as separate staffs with a tag (misleadingly called
> voicenumber, but it has only two values 1 or 2) to say whether it is a
> staff or a further voice for the staff earlier in the GList which was
> tagged voicenumber=1.
> So the GList of staffs is a mixture of staffs and voices with implicit
> rules about what the order means.
> We can either just patch this up:
>       1) in exportlilypond we do not start a new \context for voices with
> voicenumber==2
>       2) in AddVoice we create a new staff and give it voicenumber=2, placing
> it after the last one (possibly still working, but could have been
> broken fixing the coredumps in create/delete staff)
>       3) in draw.c we keep the y-coordinate the same as the previous staff
> when it is a voicenumber==2 type (possibly still working, but could have
> been broken fixing the automatic height of staffs)
>

> or we could fix it. The latter would mean replacing the measures field
> in Staff with a Voices GList whose elements were GLists of measures.
> Which would mean re-working the three elements described above. Plus of
> course, a currentvoice field in the staff and replacement of references
> to staff->measures by staff->currentvoice->measures. A lot more work,
> and I never use voices myself ... but a significant advance in the code.

I'm in favour of doing the latter and fixing it properly as it would be more
advantageous in the long run.

> I think it would be a mistake to delay a release while doing all that -
> and I think a release is urgent because the current code coredumps
> disconcertingly which is a real turn-off. We could just patch up for
> now. At least (if I've got it right) what is going on is documented in
> this email!

I agree with this I can do one on sourceforge initially until I get the gnu
ftp one sorted out.

If any one else wants to be able to make releases on the gnu ftp server
then take a look at http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html
and send me the relevant information.

Adam