Re: [Denemo-devel] Git is up to date with cvs

From: Jean-René Reinhard
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Git is up to date with cvs
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 12:21:51 +0200

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:05:34AM +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 01:07 +0200, Jean-René Reinhard wrote:
> > Does this mean git is used with a frontend emulating cvs on top of it? Is
> > the
> > git repository the main one?
> No, Jeremiah is updating git from CVS.
> > I yes who has write access to it?
> Jeremiah and I are the admins of this project, along with Adam Tee whose
> absense has orphaned the sourceforge site. Jeremiah has been looking
> after the repository side of things and is proposing to switch to git.
> This has been triggered by the presence of a spurious directory in the
> CVS repository which is in some irregular state (I think it is a plain
> empty directory which CVS has no record of, acquired by Adam importing
> the sources from sourceforge a year or so ago).
> I'm somewhat anxious that switching to git may make obtaining denemo a
> little harder (my Debian installation didn't come with git). But I know
> very little about it - I never heard of it, in fact - so I am happy to
> go with more informed judgements.

aptitude install git-core
aptitude install git-doc

In /usr/share/doc/git-doc you'll get the whole git documentation.
everyday.html contains examples of the more useful commands, tutorial.html gives
a quick introduction to git commands and concepts.

> Note that the sourceforge site links to cvs on Savannah for the sources,
> so it would be desirable to make that link work even after switching to
> git.

Another solution would be to add some file to the root of the cvs to say that it
is no longer the reference and give pointers to the git repository.