[Denemo-devel] Re: Denemo-devel: Key bindings

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Re: Denemo-devel: Key bindings
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 16:04:28 +0100

key_diff.txt patch:

I didn't manage to get it to patch automatically, but have it working -
thanks. There is another place where keypresses are being examined (in
the LilyPond editor stuff in exportlilypond.c) where something similar
will probably be needed.
I used the patched program to fix the accel Shift++ in standard.accels
and have checked the files in to CVS.

All this talk of keybindings reminds me that there is (or was?) a
mechanism for switching keybindings when doing pitch recognition. This
will be obsolete, since we have gone over to accelerators since then.

Also, the menued and unmenued commands became obsolete when I put *all*
actions into the menu system as an effort to make things simpler and
provide a simple method of defining shortcuts. I had thought that
perhaps no-one would want aliases, and we could simply drop all the old
code, but as not all keypresses can be accelerators, this will not be
possible. Nevertheless, I still hoped that all that stuff where the
menu_actions structure is shared between view.c and kbd-custom.c etc
could go if we just set up an alias scheme where aliases are paired with
accelerators. So all you would need to store is pairs of keypresses. Are
you seeing a need for more than this (e.g. for detecting already
assigned keypresses?).

Another topic:

For those who want a non-modal program we do not provide a set of
keybindings at present - that would be a sensible point to switch sets
of accelerators (ie if someone has a preference->non-modal set then the
mode switches are not shown and another set of keybindings are active).

Thanks again for your most useful patch,