Re: [Denemo-devel] inserting lilydirective

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] inserting lilydirective
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:04:31 +0100

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 15:51 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I notice that when inserting lilydirective I have to select the note
> with the mouse. Using the keyboard does not seem to work.
I do not get this effect. I think you may be getting mislead by the fact
that it makes a difference whether you are on the pitch of a note or
just in the vertical area of a note. (That is the difference I
introduced in order to put LilyPond onto the notes of a chord, rather
than the usual insert-before-object behaviour). With the mouse you tend
to select the actual note, while with the keyboard you tend to just get
the x-coordinate right.
What tricks us is that when the LilyPond goes on the note of the chord
no marker shows up (because there is no separate object inserted).
It was for this reason that I just introduced a better status bar that
shows you the LilyPond attached to notes.
However, I saw this only as an intermediate fix: we need to show
attached LilyPond better: I am thinking of an optional extra line of
text above the music where the LilyPond can be printed, aligned with the
notes.
This will then start to answer one of Nils' requests - for named
bookmarks. For example if the LilyPond was a ^"piu mosso" then this
would show up and with a search keypress you could find the passage
concerned.
This in turn is part of an grand (but incremental) scheme I have in mind
for LilyPond inserts. (I only get odd half hours to work on denemo, so
anything has to be incrementally done). My idea is that layered on top
of the general LilyPond directive you could have specialized ones. The
most general LilyPond directive applied to a note would store a bit of
text for before the note and a bit for after. An example would be
setting the extra offset for D.C. al fine, which looks like this:

 \once \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'( -4.0 . 0.0 ) g2_\markup
{D. C. al fine}

Here the TextScript is being displaced -4.0 units in the horizontal
direction from the note g2 which it is attached to.

Then specialized ones can be created, e.g. the guitar fingerings, where
a menuitem Insert/Edit fingering would pop up the general LilyPond
dialog with extra widgets, viz
 a spinner labeled
finger #
would let the user set a fingering (2, say) without knowing the syntax
(-2 in this case as I recall). This specialized dialog would insert the
correct syntax (visble to the user).
Likewise the placing of markup like the D.C al fine that I mentioned
could be controlled by x and y spinners, so that the user is spared
syntax errors.
As a final touch, the display could show, rather than the raw LilyPond
something customized to the specialized insert. So the D.C al fine could
be displayed without all the other stuff.

But writing up all this has exceeded my denemo quota for today! And
there are still many refinements needed elsewhere...

> In insert
> figured bass and fakechord I can do it entirely with the keyboard. They
> also advance onto the next object. insert lilydirective does not do
> that. I am not sure if that is on purpose or not.
I introduced the moving on thing for figured basses, where it enables me
to continuously enter the figures from the keyboard with fewest
keystrokes. You cloned the rest!
For the LilyDirectives it would be useful to move up the notes of a
chord (e.g. if you are putting in several fingerings...)

Richard
BTW a toggle on the LilyDirective dialog to override the choice of
"apply to chord" or "apply to note within chord" would be a possibility
to reduce confusion as well, but better display is the real answer.