Re: [Denemo-devel] Scripting in Denemo

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Scripting in Denemo
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 14:05:06 -0500

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 14:45 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:

> How useful this could be I am not entirely clear: the callbacks could
> check if they were being called from a script by using GTK_IS_ACTION()
> on the first argument, and so could avoid throwing up dialogs. They
> could also accept and return values, although the scripter might then be
> able to crash Denemo. (Some things would be safe: for example NextStaff
> could return TRUE if it succeeded etc).
>
> If this idea appeals, I could write the interface code from a loop
> inside Denemo, going through the actions (this would be using my
> upcoming 0.7.10 code which has just one set of actions per Denemo
> invocation).

I am surprised you have not pushed any of these changes to git yet. I
created a separate branch for 0.7.9.

> I would need a template for the interface code required, though.
> (This would, (I'm guessing), be some sort of C array of string/callback
> function pairs, associating names with callback functions together with
> the same name strings and parameter type information in some interface
> language format - your adnote.i thing?)

> Then it would just be a question of linking in a library that accessed
> the array generated and linked to the interpreter of your choice.

This is sounds great. I am excited to see what kinds of things can be
created from this seed. I can think of many uses for this kind of
feature. Editing tasks could be automated allowing rapid editing. I
think a simple transposition could switch to edit mode go through the
the list of objects raising/lower each pitch a real or diatonic
interval. Could it have access to the memory in the main DenemoGUI *
gui?
This can be done is c also. In fact the more I think about it
(transposition) the easier this all sounds. Would denemo benefit by
having this kind of thing as a script rather than coding it in c?

I have composed a simple piece a few weeks ago and my composition
instructor said I should now create some variations on this idea. I then
tried to put everything in the parallel minor one with a v(minor) and
another V(major).  I found it was kind of tedious currently to manually
to transpose something into a parallel mode or key.  If it stays in the
same scale type {major, minor, mode} it can be done exporting midi then
reimporting it again (not the most ideal). I guess since I will be
looking into quantizing staffs or selections, it maybe easy to add a way
to transpose the pitch as well as the rhythms. Ok. I am thinking about
this.

Jeremiah