[Denemo-devel] Switch to command sets (action sets?) from keymaps

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Switch to command sets (action sets?) from keymaps
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 16:03:22 +0100

I've checked in the next tranch of the work aimed at customizable menus
for scripts.
The old keymaps directory has become a directory called actions, which
will hold both the standard command sets distributed with Denemo and a
hierarchy of small command set files each containing (script) commands
aimed at special users. The head of this hierarchy will be called menus,
and below that will come
MainMenu/File/...
and
ObjectMenu/InsertModeNote/InsertNote...
and so on.
These won't exist until we have something to put in them (to save people
searching empty directory systems).

The Denemo program itself now allows you to create menu items (after
right clicking on a menu item) which can be in sub-menus. I'll create an
example for real use next.

Bugs:
        At the moment, you cannot create a submenu on a menubar (except by
explicitly creating using mkdir in your ~/.denemo/actions/menus/
hierarchy).
        If you press a key while the right-click popup menu is active, Denemo
segfaults.
        The interface for creating menu items/submenus is clunky.
        Alphabetical ordering is turned off in the Command listing (I suspect
this will be easy to restore).
        My attempts at EXTRA_DIST do not work, I suspect.
        All the command set loading is acting as a merge - we want to merge the
small command sets for specialized uses (the ones from the hierarchy of
command sets) but, usually, over-write when loading a complete command
set (e.g. at top level in the actions directory).
        I wonder, should I have called the actions directory the commands
directory? I originally called it command-sets, but this is not POSIX
compliant, and changed it rather on the fly. Or shall we talk about
action sets?