Re: [Denemo-devel] hum on the mic input

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] hum on the mic input
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:25:27 +0100

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 12:01 +0200, Nils Gey wrote:
> > Another route I would like to explore is direct midi input (the small
> > keyboard I have Yamaha SHS-10 has a midi out), but the only devices I
> > see are  midi to usb, and have windows drivers...
>
> I'm not sure what you really mean but I got it as Midi-In for Denemo? I think
> thats the same work as midi out ergo ALSA/JACK.
Yes, that is what I would expect, but I am at the stage before that - I
have no port on my computer labelled midi-in, so I can't plug this
Yamaha keyboard in. So I have no live midi input signal to work with.

> I don't know If you read the LAU/LAD list but there is a discussion going on
> about Notation in linux and many people are in search for a lilypond
> frontend. Denemo was discussed only shortly and then the discussions shifted
> to Notationprogramms which are able to send their output via midi to synths
> and sampler like Linuxsampler.

I have looked on the internet for information on getting physical midi
signals into a computer running Linux but mostly what I see seems very
old, saying that soundcards are (were?) midi capable but just lacked a
little bit of circuitry to actually connect the midi out of equipment to
them. And I see midi-usb devices for sale, but they only mention
windows.