Re: [Denemo-devel] Restructuring of the ObjectMenu/Notes

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Restructuring of the ObjectMenu/Notes
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 19:21:04 +0100

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 12:51 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I think the easiest things would be the menu items. Next would be
> scheme functions. I began rereading over the docs of guile. I think
> if
> gdb
I was thinking of the Scheme single stepping debug stuff not gdb, that
could be hard
>  doesn't answer our questions we need to ask someone.
Asking would be best, although I don't know where.
>  I think
> importmidi can eventually be rewritten in scheme. The same goes for
> exportcsound and csoundplayback.
What would be the advantages?

I have seen an import music xml written in Scheme (for LilyPond I
think), which we could perhaps use as a basis for getting music xml into
Denemo.

But right now I think we should be thinking of releasing. The idea of
releasing would be to try and stimulate users to generate scripts for
their own special interests (e.g. the Percussion crowd).
One drawback, I think is that Scheme is a rather unapproachable
language, but I don't think there is a lot we can do about that.

Is there anything that we should delay a release for? I can think of
        0) Documenting the Scheme interface
        1) Being able to delete unwanted menu items.
        2) Being able to locate more commands of the relevant sort by a "more"
item on every menu that would look in the actions/menus/... hierarchy at
the appropriate place.
        3) Being able to re-write tooltips (ie the help for each menuitem).
... others not at the top of my mind...