Re: [Denemo-devel] version 0.8.0

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] version 0.8.0
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 14:50:36 -0500

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 19:37 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:

> > Unfortunately I do not see a pkg-config file for guile yet in Ubuntu.
> > This is true even with version 1.8. We can provide a pkg-config file for
> > denemo users or we can continue to require g-wrap. What do you think?
> I think this is grounds for delaying an official release. What does
> g-wrap do to get its dependency working (ie what does its configure.am
> look like)? It is not at all nice to require packages we don't use.

g-wrap just provides a pkg-config file that includes --libs --cflags
required to compile and link against guile and other stuff.

Running pkg-config like this:

pkg-config --cflags --libs g-wrap-2.0-guile

-std=gnu99  -lgwrap-guile-runtime -lgwrap-core-runtime -lguile -lgmp
-lcrypt -lm -lltdl -lffi

of the above all we really need is -lguile. I could change Makefile.am
to look like this:

#PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GWRAP, g-wrap-2.0-guile >= 1.9)
#CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $GWRAP_CFLAGS"
#LIBS="$LIBS $GWRAP_LIBS"
LIBS="$LIBS -lguile"

This will not check to see if guile is present or what directory the
headers or libs are. It configure and make should succeed if guile is
installed. If it is not installed configure will succeed and make will
fail. I hoped that ./configure would fail if guile was not installed. I
don't think there is anything we can do unless there is pkg-config file
for all disto's. Any suggestions?

Jeremiah