[Denemo-devel] Re: Denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Re: Denemo
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:32:34 +0100

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 23:17 -0400, Endre Knez wrote:
> Richard,
>
> I'm interested in doing some hacking on Denemo, and I have a couple of
> questions.  First, how do I post to the mailing list?
You email address@hidden, but it may be that by registering you
get to send attachments as well (not sure). If you follow the links from
denemo.org->community->mailing lists it should be clear (well, as clear
as it is to me!).
> And second, how
> do you build Denemo under windows?
With difficulty. I hacked together some scripts (running under a bash
interpreter) *after* getting things like aubio.dll built. The scripts
run the mingw compiler on all the .c files and link with all the
libraries and then copy things to the right places, package up with the
Inno install creator and copy to my memory stick for transport back to
Linux.
 Everything I did is in the source zip for windows (the denemo sources
themselves in that zipfile will be out of date, its just there to make
sure that everything has the source code as well). In particular, there
are the Makefiles that I hacked to build aubio, fft3w... all as they
ended up once I had succeeded. It would be great to have proper make
infrastructure for all this, but that is a bit outside my skillset (I am
an ex toochain hacker). If you want to hack at this stuff ask me for
more help, as there are a number of messy things involved.
>  I do all of my programming on
> Linux, but I use windows for music-related stuff.
There is a desperate need for someone to spend some time shuffling the
libraries, loaders etc around to find out why Denemo is not working on
some windows installations. Some installations don't load the .svg
files, but otherwise work (e.g. my mother's machine), some work ok (e.g.
the windows partition on my machine) and some people report it dying
after declaring that the .svg icons won't load. Last time I was on
windows I took out all the extra environment variables that might be
making mine work without finding anything (things like the lilypond path
that could lead to other gtk libraries).
I could do a build with the -g flag on (so that the debugger should find
the symbols) and post that up if you would have time to look at it - or
perhaps theres an equivalent of strace on windows?).
Thank you for emailing,