Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:55:25 -0600

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 16:55 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 08:27 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 08:13 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> > > I have plugged in my m-audio keystation 49 and doing
> > > cat /dev/midi
> > > I can see the midi data coming in as I press the keys.
> >
> > We can a universal function that responds to midi messages NOTE_ON,
> > NOTE_OFF, PITCH_BEND, etc... and if jack is not available we can
> > default
> > to oss. Alsa does oss emulation so the user just has to provide the
> > device path /dev/snd/midi02, /dev/midi or whatever.
> Is it alsa that is creating /dev/midi when I plug in the music-keyboard?

If you are using alsa then yes. I don't know if it is the driver
creating the device nodes or not. This is through the oss emulation.

> There is something responding to the hotplugging of my music-keyboard by
> creating /dev/midi.

hotplug is probably used to ensure the correct alsa modules are loaded.

> I have both alsa and jack installed I think, but I
> have no /dev/sequencer - I don't know what might create that (it would
> have to be a soft synthesizer as I don't have dedicated hardware).

You probably don't have a hardware synth in your sound card. You can
emulate one with timidity or other software. By default ubuntu lauches
timidity in damen mode. Anything written to /dev/sequencer is sounded
via timidity as the events are received.

> > > It looks like for the non-jack branch we could possibly just collect
> > the
> > > simplest "noteon" data and use it as pitch input for Denemo.
> >
> > You are going to want to process it to determine if the input is
> > overlapping or if the foot pedal has been pressed.
> Yes, but to achieve as much as the audio entry does we would just need
> the noteon data. I think we should aim to model the midi in to look like
> the keyboard in and the mouse in, so that we can make midi shortcuts
> (like tweaking the pitch bend wheel to do a delete) using similar code.
> I think it would be good to be able to do all the music entry from the
> music-keyboard.
> For example:
> I can imagine setting up the music-keyboard for doing rhythm entry.
> Perhaps whole note = C, half note D etc, then entering rhythms would
> have the added advantage of audible feedback - you would soon get to
> recognize if you had pressed a quarter note for a half note by the sound
> it makes. Things like eighth-note sixteenth-note sixteenth-note would
> make a little tune which you would recognise as you played it
> (rhythmically) in on the music-keyboard.

What would these little sounds sound like? sound effects?

Jeremiah