[Denemo-devel] Current state and plans

From: Nils Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Current state and plans
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:25:51 +0100

Hi,

I lost a bit where Denemo stands now and what is work in progress.

Currently I see most work done on midi-import where two ways are implemented:
One JACK-midi and one direct access. Maybe you can inform me (and others) why
this dual system benefits the users?

Then all the time there are new scripts and functions which is really great.
Will these scripts be bundeld with new releases? If Denemo gets more users and
user scripts can we integrate a system to easily download new scripts from the
web in the (far away) future? Note: When the time comes where users actually
want to submit scripts we (I) should be ready to give them a central place to
store them and also we should review what scripts will show up so that we can
include the better ones right into the Denemo releases. There a plentyful linux
applications where the real deal is made with scripts (for example IRC clients
and where it is a pain to get the real good ones, integrate them to your
software and know any time which scripts work with the current version)

What I see a bit ambivalent is that all these new features and scripts are not
featured enough. The "more commands" file browser is a bit confusing because
you have to scroll through your filesystem and you get not enough infos what
these things are. Especially when there will be more and more scripts this
could be some issue for the users. A script-management dialog (like other
programs have "plugin browsers") would be a great benefit. I'm just giving out
ideas, I know there is much work to do which is more important.

Did I forgot anything?

What is also a bit ambivalent (in my opinion) is that there are more and more
features which are just shown as little green lilypond-"lines". What is needed
to make more functions "real" Denemo objects so that repeat bars, for example,
are shown correctly? And how about scripts that add things to the
lilypond-output, is there a way that the scripter can distribute a graphic with
his script which could be added to the staffs?

And last to that: How are icons done? Is there a way I can help with adding
Icons for the menus? And can menu-commands which are script have their own
icon, too?

Nils