Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI entry filters

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI entry filters
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 21:04:21 +0000

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 17:06 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> This whole subject of scripts calling scripts is one that I have
> avoided
> thinking about yet. (Ditto for scripts taking parameters). There is
> just
> too much to do! Mostly I would like to consolidate what we have, doing
> useful things with the tools we have already (including filling in the
> dots where needed).
> But I'll give it some thought.
I'm glad you got me to think about this. It works out quite nicely, and
the good thing is we don't have to do everything in one big effort - we
can build up.
I think the following will work:
        Transpose tests to see if the top level variable
Transpose::Interactive is defined, if not it defines it and makes it #t.
        Then Transpose interacts with the user if  Transpose::Interactive is #t
else it uses values stored in Transpose::<choose suitable name>

Now a script TransposeSelection would define Transpose::Interactive to
be #f and would define Transpose::<the name that the Transpose script
uses> to be interval wanted, e.g. by interacting with the user.
TransposeSelection would then call ApplyToSelection with the command
d-Transpose and when that finishes it would define
Transpose::Interactive #t
so that d-Transpose can be used interactively again.

We can do this straight away, and I think it should work (this is all
off the top of my head, so don't quote me on the exact names etc). We
could start to refine things by checking for (defined? d-Transpose) and
if not warning the user. Later, we can add something to go fetch the
required d-Transpose command from disk, ascending a file hierarchy to
find it perhaps.