Re: [Denemo-devel] Good News

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Good News
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:15:55 +0000

Even nicer, we can display the .png that LilyPond creates (PrintExcerpt)
from within Denemo, the user can select the feature that the LilyPond
directive has caused LilyPond to draw, and this can then become the
graphic that is displayed in Denemo, when that LilyPond directive is
attached.
Magic.
There are some things to do with alpha channels/transparency to sort
out. But this offers a really smooth path for growing Denemo in the
music score generation:
      * You want a new feature, you look up the LilyPond text that does
        it
      * You create a LilyPond directive that inserts that text
      * Give it a command name, menu item etc, but no graphic yet.
      * You run it and check the .png looks right, the feature has
        appeared.
      * You lassoo the feature in the .png view and copy to clipboard
      * You go to the menu item and give it the graphic on the clipboard
Now when you invoke the command it places the graphic in the Denemo
display, at a position that you choose to correspond with where
(typically) LilyPond places it.

About tagging the LilyPond directives with the denemo command that
creates it: I am thinking that it will then be possible to edit the
position graphically, dragging the item thereby modifying the LilyPond
output to accomplish the drag in the final printed version. The drag
could be done in the .png view, it could actually drag a bit of the
image, and the callback for the drag modifies the LilyPond directive to
reposition the item. So when the .png is re-created the item is indeed
moved.
Quite how the dragging invokes the original denemo command in a "move"
rather than "create" mode I will see more clearly as I get closer. (Lots
of possibilities, elegance, simplicity, clarity, ease of use ... will
decide).
Richard