Re: [Denemo-devel] Tagged Directives

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Tagged Directives
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:34:08 +0000

I think it will be good to make a special API for the DenemoDirectives:
they are going to become a major part of how Denemo works and the
current interface doesn't look good (internally) for controlling a
structure with a large number of fields.
The interface will look like this:
      * The present interactive commands will start up a single dialog,
        offering to choose amongst the tagged directives and editing of
        all the fields
      * Scripts will not use those commands (generally) but have a
        special set of commands to get/set individual fields of a
        directive, which would be identified by its tag. (E.g.
        (d-NoteDirectiveGetX "LHfinger") will return the x-coordinate of
        the left hand fingering. (That would be a horizontal offset in
        the Denemo display). Other commands would get/set the other
        fields, e.g. midi control fields, belonging to the Directive.
This will avoid extensive string comparisons to extract parameters which
start to look bad as the number of fields increases.
Richard