Re: [Denemo-devel] Portaudio

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Portaudio
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:52:52 +0000

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 21:21 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> > > Basically Jack is for Audio what Jackmidi is for midi. You can route your
> > > audio latency-free from any application to any.
> > Ah, right, I think I get that - so instead of saying "open me a port and
> > callback here when you want pcm samples of 16bit ints at 44000 samples
> > per second" as you do with portaudio, you would say the the same sort of
> > thing to jack & jack would send the audio on to anything that had
> > connected to jack and asked for it. Whereas Portaudio only connects to a
> > soundcard (I guess), albeit cross-platform. ok.
>
> Nearly right. You don't tell Jack anything about bitrate and samples. This is
> all done by the Jack-Server.
Then that doesn't work, we have samples to output. (They are called I
think pcm samples, they are literally numbers representing the amplitude
of the sound wave at a succession of points in time). So what does Jack
want as input? What would Denemo have to give it? Jack-Midi can be given
MIDI codes, that's fine, but what does Jack want?
Richard