Re: [Denemo-devel] Large Menu of Objects

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Large Menu of Objects
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:22:31 +0000

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 17:53 +0300, alex stone wrote:
> Jeremiah, what about user defined menus?
>
> The user goes to Edit/Menu Preferences (for example).
>
> He selects 'new menu' and gives it a name, and a keybinding.
>
> He then populates the menu with his actions/symbols/whatever of
> choice, saves it, and the newly named menu appears in a list of menus,
> somewhere in the headers. (i.e. File, Edit. MENUS, etc...)
>
> The user can have more than one self built menu, and actions can be on
> more than one menu, as we may use some actions more than once, in
> different workflow tasks.

We actually have most of this. It's just the top-level bit that is
missing. To create a new menu that is a submenu of something already
there you can use the right-click/create new menu item ... choose sub
menu name. But to create one that is not a submenu (and also some pesky
cases where there are no items, only menus in a menu) you have no
programmatic method: what you can do is to create a directory under
~/.denemo/actions/menus
and put your commands in it by copying files. Then you use More Commands
to get it into your gui and Save as Default in the command management
dialog.
(Once you have one menu item in your new menu you can use the
right-click methods, get script, create new menu item ... to fully
populate it if you like, or you can just copy the files from elsewhere
under menus to assemble the set you want).
There is nothing preventing this work being finished, except for lack of
time, it's fairly straightforward gtk, or even just glib stuff...