Re: [Denemo-devel] Music Games

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Music Games
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:54:22 +0100

On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 10:27 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:07:15 +0100
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I have placed a .denemo file in actions/musicgames
> >
> > ReadingNoteNames.denemo
> >
> > If you run denemo with this file on the command line
> >
> > denemo -c Empty.cmdset ReadingNoteNames.denemo
> >
> > and with the empty commandset you should get a game that is
> > self-contained.
>
> Question/Concerns:
>
> I like were this is going. Note I had to reduce all the 36 size fonts
> to 32 and 16 sized fonts to 12. I had to do this so it all fits on my
> screen. My resolution is only 1024x768.
I want to stop working on this now, so if you can take over that would
be great, reducing the font sizes to suit medium spec displays is good.
Below are other ideas about it that I have had...

> When does the user know when the game is done?
I have left it as "do as many as you like", with the new timing aspect
you could watch your correct hits/second ratio, and try and get it high.
And when you want to stop you press Print and it prints out your score,
Oh - and the student's name, but that is just anonymous at present - it
could do a (d-GetUserName) if we had it, or just ask the student to type
it in.

>  I have not looked at
> the code very much yet but can the game also accept keyboard input.
This code doesn't - comes back to the question of could we bind a
keystroke to one of these actionscripts. (I don't know the answer!)
> Many of my students are accustom to these games using the keyboard
> since I have been using them in my classes.
>
> > I am not sure how to package this: ideally Denemo will come with a
> > games chooser. (Many packages install, and then leave you with no
> > idea what new executables you have...)
>
> That works. Can it also go into this game mode from any other mode via
> the menu?
well, the problems are with the already installed keymap and things,
just from the point of view of messing things up. You can run the game
from the Educational menu.

> > Reading note names itself has been enhanced with something to print
> > out your score. It should also do some timing,
>
> To what degree of granularity should the timer track? Seconds tenth of
> seconds? I don't see why we would need to go any further then tenth of
> seconds.

I've just done seconds in the latest check in.
Richard