Re: [Denemo-devel] A few more bugs.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A few more bugs.
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 09:54:16 +0100

On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 03:43 +0200, Nils wrote:
> After a bit of late-night work with Denemo I stumbled upon:
>
> Lyrics:
> 1) When editing lyrics some (all?) shortcuts seem not to work. For example
> print preview.
I think you mean while you are typing in a lyric verse you would wish to
invoke Denemo commands via shortcuts? Not all shortcuts - e.g. the
keypress 'a' must insert the letter 'a' in the lyric not the note A into
the music at the cursor. You have to switch the "keyboard focus" back to
the drawing area before you can use the Denemo shortcuts.

> 2) Tied notes does not show right with lyrics in Denemo. Lilypond output is
> fine. Tied note means the ones created with "toggle tie" (I prefer to use
> this. The other options to tie seem to be hard to handle)
This is a bug. The distribution on syllables to notes in the Denemo
Display goes wrong when there are ties. I recall fixing it for slurs.
So it should be easy to fix.

> 3) Is it possible (=imaginable) to override shortcuts in certain areas of
> Denemos GUI? I can imagine it would be good to override for example Tab or
> Shift+Space to enter the string " -- " if you are in Lyric-Mode. This one is
> used more than the normal space key.
> Well.. its late. Why the override...? I thought too much of Tab. So maybe
> just shift+space to enter " -- " in Lyricmode is enough.
See (1) above. When we have a fully-fledged text editor drop-in for
these GtkTextView things we can imagine it will have all sorts of
goodies for us. This could include a "switch focus to drawing area"
command (and we would want one in the drawing area to switch back; then
you could do Alt-S Ctrl-P Alt-S to switch and print and switch back,
say, if Alt-S is what you chose).

> Anacrusis/Auftakt:
> They seem to be unhandily, too. Maybe this is something that is better done
> in Citself than as a script.
It would be better, though trying to write an Anacrusis handler in C
would not be the best approach: instead we should add
 more support for anacrusis: Denemo has no objects at the moment that
purely control things like the measure number (which goes wrong with
anacrusis, and also goes wrong in the presence of first and second time
measures) nor Denemo's count of how much duration is used up in a
measure. We need to be able to tell Denemo to do the same "putting the
clock back" that is being done by the LilyPond interpreter when it sees
the command \partial. Then Denemo and LilyPond will stay in sync and
behave in the same way.
I am not up to speed on how the time signature and the duration of a
measure are represented (what a "tick" is inside the denemo code) and
how notes longer than a semi-breve might be represented. There is quite
a lot of low level work to be done here to figure all this out.

>  A real denemo-logic partial measure could avoid all of those problems:
>
> 1) You need to place the Anacrusis in every staff manually, otherwise you get
> errors in lilypond output (it will show, but measures go wrong). Setting it
> in one staff should be enough.
> 2) Denemo does not seem to know what an Anacrusis is.
It doesn't.
>  It shows the blue "!" for "Measure not full". That means:
> 2a) Copy and paste does not work because the notes just get pasted in line
> and so they fail, even if you copy from a staffs start and paste to a staffs
> start.
> 2b) "Adjust the Barlines" just ignores anacrusis and so its a "destroy my
> staff" command. Because we have no undo and if you are shocked like I was
> here is the workaround:  Insert rests in front and do Adjust again. Or delete
> Anacrusis, Adjust the Barlines, put it back in front.
> 2c) I did not test it with MIDI, but maybe there are issues, too.
There will be all those unfilled measure issues there, there is no
special code (other than the scripts) for Anacrusis

Richard