Re: [Denemo-devel] Jackmidi Status?

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Jackmidi Status?
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:31:38 -0500

On Sep 22, 2009, at 1:09 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 08:27 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 08:56 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:

Choosing the color of the graphic display could be done by introducing
another field for the color value in the DenemoDirective, 0x0 being
black. You mention drawing a note in white - I don't know if this will
work (erasing the staff lines?)

I didn't think of that. Do we have the ability to change the color in
the denemo display?
not yet. It wouldn't be difficult - just another field in
DenemoDirective and a little code in draw.c to pick up the color.
That would be nice to add color to the games.

- perhaps you are thinking of this to
get a side effect of playing the note (using the immediate playback
facility)?

Yes. I was. Like you suggested, I will just use immediate playback
instead.
?? "use immediate playback" meaning explicitly calling d-PlayMidi or
whatever it is called to play a midi note - this function presumably
needs linking up to your new code (or have you done this already).

This has been wired up to d-playMidiKey should it be d-Plaidi instead? At the moment it I haven't wired it up to the staff properties channel/ volume/program number etc... So I will do that soon. How does d-PlayMidiKey respond to directives like program change etc... Or is that overkill for immedate playback?

It will be cleaner not to use modal features in scripts -
instead use functions that do what they say: so draw a note draws, play a note plays. In Denemo these will often be linked together to provide things like immediate playback mode, but we should tease them apart for
the scripting language.