Re: [Denemo-devel] debian maintainer?

From: Pietro Battiston
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] debian maintainer?
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:30:24 +0200

Il giorno sab, 03/10/2009 alle 11.02 +0100, Richard Shann ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 20:59 +0200, Pietro Battiston wrote:

> > > Yes - don't spread yourself any further. I think a non-programmer could
> > > do this.
> >
> > Not really so sure, but certainly a non-denemo programmer could.
> >
> > > Though I am not sure what is involved and what benefit it would
> > > be to Denemo.
> >
> > Huge, I suppose, if you want to get a huge share of the potential
> > userbase (though I recognize you're not obliged to see this as one of
> > your targets, it would surprise me if you didn't).
> >
> > > There is someone interested who has pushed 0.8.something
> > > into Denemo,
> >
> > me
> >
> > > I don't recall the name.
> >
> > Pietro Battiston
> >
> > > Perhaps this notice is about some
> > > process that is ongoing anyway, retiring Gunter Geiger who is not
> > > responding (?)
> >
> > Actually Richard, thanks for the tip since I had not noticed the package
> > had been orphaned.
> >
> > It was me who tried to contact Gunter, with (almost) no success; that's
> > why I took the time to upload 8.8.0.
> >
> > Since I had some problems, that had to do with libjack, the current
> > packaging is somewhat overcomplicated, that's why I would be happy to
> > package the next version of denemo, in a way cleaner and more suitable
> > to be left to a new maintainer.
>
> If there is anything we can do in our git that will make it easier
> please say.

At the time, Jeremiah helped me solve the issue, but with a hack which
is what brought some overcomplication and that - he said - is (already
was) no more necessary in trunk:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/denemo-devel/2009-09/msg00028.html

> One of the things I notice is that people ask questions about Denemo in
> many different places (Ubuntu forums etc) which would be better asked
> here (perhaps it is the poor naming of this list?).
>
> I use the current stable Debian distribution myself, to try to make sure
> that the program is well tested there.
>

> > That said, I'm really not eager to be the new maintainer, as stated in
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2009/09/msg00123.html ,
>
> in this post you mention C programming and debugging problems. Can't
> problems that require debugging be put on our bug tracker?
> (As I say, I don't really understand the issues around packaging ...)

for the specific problem, see above...

however, speaking about the bug tracker, one thing you could do is to
finally apply my patch:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?27003

bye

Pietro