Re: [Denemo-devel] debian maintainer?

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] debian maintainer?
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 07:42:46 -0500

Ok. I will fix this.

Jeremiah

On Oct 17, 2009, at 2:53 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 09:06 +0200, Pietro Battiston wrote:
Il giorno sab, 03/10/2009 alle 11.02 +0100, Richard Shann ha scritto:
On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 20:59 +0200, Pietro Battiston wrote:
Il giorno ven, 02/10/2009 alle 13.54 +0100, Richard Shann ha scritto:
On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 07:31 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:29:53 +0100
Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

I have seen this:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/5e8677fb33173f9b

indicating a maintainer is needed for the debian package. Can/ should
we respond?

I guess I could step up and do it. I am a bit spread thin though as it
is.
Yes - don't spread yourself any further. I think a non- programmer could
do this.

Not really so sure, but certainly a non-denemo programmer could.

Though I am not sure what is involved and what benefit it would
be to Denemo.

Huge, I suppose, if you want to get a huge share of the potential
userbase (though I recognize you're not obliged to see this as one of
your targets, it would surprise me if you didn't).

There is someone interested who has pushed 0.8.something
into Denemo,

me

I don't recall the name.

Pietro Battiston

Perhaps this notice is about some
process that is ongoing anyway, retiring Gunter Geiger who is not
responding (?)

Actually Richard, thanks for the tip since I had not noticed the package
had been orphaned.

It was me who tried to contact Gunter, with (almost) no success; that's
why I took the time to upload 8.8.0.

Since I had some problems, that had to do with libjack, the current
packaging is somewhat overcomplicated, that's why I would be happy to package the next version of denemo, in a way cleaner and more suitable
to be left to a new maintainer.

If there is anything we can do in our git that will make it easier
please say.

Actually, with some delay I remembered something else that I wanted to
suggest you: in pixmaps/denemo.desktop, please
- remove the line "Encoding=UTF-8" (see [0])
- replace the line
  Categories=GNOME;Application;AudioVideo;
 with
  Categories=GNOME;Audio;AudioVideo;Music;
 (see [1])

This looks like the sort of change that could be put in the 0.8.10
release - Jeremiah, are you able to confirm that this is so, and if so,
can you do it?
Also - should we include the Education category as well, as the
educational games are starting to mature now? My reading of (1)
indicates that this should be ok:

Categories=GNOME;Audio;AudioVideo;Music;Education

Richard

[0]: http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/1.0/apc.html
[1]: http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

This will slightly further simplify my Debian packaging work (allowing
me to remove the last remaining patch).

thank you (but feel free to answer "just file a bug" if this is
something you don't feel of doing immediately)

Pietro Battiston